12 Mental Health Benefits of an Organized Home
- A Better Ability to Focus – Every day is full of distractions. There’s always something or someone attempting to divert your attention. Disorganized houses can feel like just another thing trying to occupy your attention. By routinely tidying your space, you can enjoy being home without feeling like you have more chores to do.
- Increased Productivity – By organizing your space, you can achieve optimal results in every aspect of your life. Like the age-old saying says: “Clean house, clean mind.” By keeping your surroundings less cluttered, your mind will feel less cluttered too.
- Reduced Stress and Overwhelming Feelings – Keeping things clean and organized brings more calm and peace to your space and, therefore, your life. In this kind of environment, it’s easier to think logically and keep things in perspective rather than getting worked up.
- Reduced Feelings of Depression – Looking at a disorganized, cluttered space and living in it can make us feel many things all at once. We can experience feelings of:
- An overall feeling of self-doubt and being down on ourselves
It can breed depression and definitely does not promote joy or peace. Cleaning up and getting organized is uplifting and does “spark joy” in many areas of our lives.
- Improved Relationships – When the space you share with a loved one looks disastrous and disorganized, it can often cause a strain in your relationships. This is especially the case if some folks in a household are orderly and clean while others are not. Taking the time to clean up and stay on top of things demonstrates care and good intentions for the household and those who live within the four walls.
- A Lighter-looking Space and Uplifting Feelings – As you work to clean and organize your home, you’ll begin to notice how much lighter everything feels. Without piles and clutter, your space will feel open, bright, and airy. A decluttered home can feel like an entirely new space. Plus, it can lift your spirits.
- Saving Money – A huge problem with having a lot of clutter is that you can’t find what you’re looking for when you need it. This can often lead to buying the same thing over again. People with excess clutter often spend way too much money on things they already have. Cleaning things out and organizing your home helps you keep track of what you have and what you need.
- A Boost In Physical Health – Chances are when there’s clutter and uncleanliness, there’s going to be dust. Too much exposure to dust can lead to many health problems. Sometimes an untidy house can also lead to mold and mildew issues, which can be an even bigger threat to a person’s overall health. If you regularly clean your space, you are less likely to experience these conditions.
- Improved Eating Habits – When you have a clean and organized pantry, it can help you clearly identify what food you have. If you’re constantly digging through a lot of stuff to decide what to eat each day, you’re more likely to reach for something quick, simple, and easy which could likely be junk food. An organized pantry and kitchen could help you “re-think” before you eat. Plus you may feel more inspired to eat healthily and try new recipes once your kitchen is in order. Organized pantries can also make it easier to check expiration dates when it’s in plain sight.
- Improved Sleep – After getting organized and clean, many people find they are able to sleep much better. If your space is clean and clear, you’re much more likely to relax and enjoy a good night’s rest.
- A Good Workout – Deep cleaning an entire house is an incredible workout. Taking care of your home can be a beneficial exercise for your body. Even if you’re just doing a routine cleaning you can work some of your muscles as you move through your house.
- A More Aesthetically Pleasing Space – Instead of being distracted by piles and chores, you can sit back and take in the beauty of your beautiful home!
While these benefits are great to keep in mind, not everyone has the time or energy required to organize and maintain a home. That’s where the professionals come in! You may need a professional organizer to help you purge, donate and regroup.
The organizer often sees how to organize a space differently than you do. For instance, they could envision where to put custom-designed storage throughout your house. Organizers like these will help achieve and maintain all twelve of the above benefits.
If you’re interested in working with a designer, contact our team today to set up a consultation. With our assistance, you can organize your space better, feel more content, and experience the 12 benefits listed above. Contact My Custom Closet today to get started.